Monday, September 18, 2006

I Hate You So Bad

The post-doc in the lab is making me absolutely psychotically angry. I'm starting to lose control over my anger, and a none too pretty public freak-out is looming on the horizon.

She's been pissing me off for a few months now, and I've generally been good about not flipping out at her - it's important that the lab members get along and things run smoothly. Me throwing a shit-fit isn't going to solve anything, and would most definitely make things worse. I am trying my best to be as patient and understanding as possible, but my supplies are running dangerously low. She has no freaking idea that she's playing with fire.

The post-doc is incredibly annoying, selfish, oblivious, rude, and condescending. She is supposed to be training me in microinjections, a difficult technique that takes most people 4-5 months to get. I'm learning surprisingly fast, actually managing to successfully inject some cells - it took her around a month or two to do that and it's only taken me a few weeks. I can't really do most of it on my own, so I'm relying on her to get some results in - this is at the request of my supervisor.

Essentially every time she's supposed to be helping me she flakes out and uses lame ass excuses for why she can't help me with the work. She openly told me that her research is the priority and whines her way out of doing what she agreed to do in the first place. She won't show up when we made arrangements to do an experiment together. She cancels sessions on whims and doesn't tell me till the very same day, telling me I'll need to work around it.

Today I asked her a fairly simple question - I was confused and needed the easy answer. Instead of just telling me, she gets out a pad and sits me down, explaining that I need to "understand what's going on and not just blindly doing experiments". She starts drawing a diagram to explain to me the point of the research.

The whole thing was so fucking condescending that I just gaped at her in completely disbelief: that bitch had the nerve to sit me down like a 4 year old child and talk to me as one. I stood there clenching and unclenching my fists, fake smiling and nodding at her. After she was done being a condescending cow, I calmly explained that I fully understood the research and even filled in a few points she had missed.

I am done being nice to her - I am still going to try not to flip out, but I am SO DONE doing her any favours and working around her schedule. She can work around me, dammit, because I am through bending over for her.

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger Chorna said...

I can completely understand your situation and although perhaps not in the same context, I've been there, too.

At the moment, though, I'm on the other end of the stick - I'm working as a "supervisor" or sorts, and having to deal with someone who's testing my diplomacy skills to the max...

I hope you'll find a constructive way to let her know how her behaviour is affecting your ability to work.

 
At 9:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screw that! Stick the malkie on her!

Hope you work something out, Jo. :/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home