Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Powerfully Indifferent

So today was the last Psych Theory class of the semester.

We finished the Grant Reviews (thank god), and had our last presentations. While it's been interesting to read people's research proposals and participate in a mock grant review exercise, it's also been extremely frustrating: 4 hours straight every class of reading proposals, critiquing them, and watching people beat others to death with their extremely important opinions. Oi vey, the chuztpah has indeed reared it's ugly head.

The school year has flown by so ridiculously fast. Normally at this point in the year I'm looking forward to a school-free summer. Unfortunately, as a grad student, I have to work in the lab this summer continuing my research. I'm pretty upset about it, because I've had it with this shit and really don't enjoy it, but I'm also resigned to it at this point.

I will get time off, and I will be taking more time off than I "should". But fuck "should". "Should" is for people who care. Right now, I'm powerfully indifferent.

In fact, I'm so indifferent that I forgot my stats final is next week. I got reminded today - and it didn't even worry me. That is how much I don't care. This time last year I would have shit myself, cried for a couple of hours, and immediately gotten down to work. Now, instead, I'm typing this and watching Dr. Phil.

This isn't to say I'm not still stressed - I'm just stressed about different things. Our class took a wee informal stress questionnaire to compare our average stress levels to the normal population. The average score is 10.11. The average score for our class was 20.33.

My score was
32. heh. That's in the Severe category. It definitely made me laugh.

Fortunately I do have some things to look forward to. I'm going another Contiki tour this summer. The one I chose is of Eastern Europe, and spends 2 1/2 weeks going from Germany, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Austria, and Hungary. I'm terribly excited, as I haven't been to Eastern Europe before and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the culture - at least for a little while.

4 Comments:

At 5:11 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Well done on finishing your reviews! Sounds like a lot of hard work. The year (in fact all three) flew by for myself as well, I can't believe I'm almost finished Uni. I'm sure working in the lab won't be as bad as it feels at the moment.

I've been in the same "I don't give a fuck" mode most of my time here, I work better under pressure. The stress test you took indicates a lot of pressure!!!

Before I talk too much you're going to love Eastern Europe! I went around Europe 2 years ago and it was amazing. Places I visited include Berlin, Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Krakow and Prague. All amazing places - all of them.

A few things you have to do: Try local food in every country (and local beer!). Go caving under Budapest (they have flyers in hostels). Visit Auschwitz (if you can), you'll probably cry, but have a greater understanding of humanity. Bratislava savour the nightlife and friendly people. Prague there is lots to do, the castle is good. I could go on, I'm certain you will have a fantastic time out there, be sure to let us know how it goes.

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger Chorna said...

Geez, Jo, that's a lot of stress. I can't even fathom what my stress results would be. I'd hope for a low score, but getting a high one might be a relief to explain all those... unexplainable oddities.

Good luck with everything, despite your indifference. :) Believe me, I know how you feel.

 
At 4:19 PM , Blogger Chorna said...

Wait, that's what you said on my post, lol.

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

hey guys - thanks for stopping by. Stress is just part of the game, I'll get over it... hopefully ;)

I definitely plan on eating as much local food as I can while over in Europe, but the tour itself is mostly organized so I might not be able to do everything - but caving under Budapest sounds awesome!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home