EugoogalizerI've just finished writing and reviewing a big research proposal that's due tomorrow. The title I gave it is "cAMP response element binding protein mediated reconsolidation of spatial memory in the hippocampus". Even I'm not sure I understand it, heh.
For the Masters psych theory class, all 17 of us have to write an NSERC style research proposal for an experiment that we would like to conduct, assuming we had all the resources possible open to us. After we submit them, we then become our own selection committee: with groups of us rating eachothers anonymous proposals, and deciding whether or not we would fund them.
We even had to write a pretend one-year budget. I had absolutely no idea what research projects normally cost, I've only been a lowly experimenter, never the primary investigator. For my undergrad thesis I used the morris water maze, which I decided to include again in this proposal. I emailed my undergrad supervisor, and she faxed me the price quote for the water maze. Holy bagoly. It costs upwards of 14,000$. I shat myself, secrelty remembering those days when I was so frustrated and tired of running the water maze that I would give the tank a few swift kicks.
On a more pleasant note, I watched one of my favourite movies earlier: Zoolander. I cannot explain the depths of my love for this movie. Here are some of my favourite quotes:
- "You know, a eugoogalizer, one who speaks at funerals. Or did you think I was too stupid to know what a eugoogaly was?"
- "You think that you're too cool for school, but I have a newsflash for you Walter Cronkite... you aren't."
- "I deserve to die if I can't beat Han-suckass at a walk-off!"
- "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"
- "Who cares about Derek Zoolander anyway? The man has only one look for Christ's sake! Blue Steel? Ferrari? Le Tigre? They're the same face! Doesn't anybody notice this? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"
- "There was a moment last night, when she was sandwiched between the two Finnish dwarves and the Maori tribesmen, where I thought, "Wow, I could really spend the rest of my life with this woman"."
- "What is this? A center for ants? How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building? The building has to be at least... three times bigger than this!"
- "Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident."
- "Whoa, whoa, easy! How 'bout a "Good afternoon, Derek and Hansel. Thanks for the freak fest last night.""