Sunday, February 26, 2006

Books and Movies



So my week off has come to an end. I really don't want to focus much on going back, it's getting a little too hard to deal with recently. Gotta get me a good anti-anxiety prescription, me thinks.

I finished
Fall On Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald this week. It was absolutely captivating. I wouldn't describe it as a nicely enjoyable book - it gets pretty disturbing and deals with some pretty wrenching topics. But it's one of those books where I'm still thinking about it, a week or so after I've finished reading it and am half way through another book. It will definitely stick with me for a while.

Over the break, Elisa and I saw Eight Below, the movie with Paul Walker (rawr) about a team of huskies in the antartic. I wasn't expecting too much, it was essentially the only one we could agree on that was showing at the right time. But man, that was a pretty heart wrenching movie. It seemed like I was crying every 15 minutes. I went home and cuddled my cat for a few hours.

Now I'm reading a book called Sunshine by Robin McKinley. It's a vampire/werewolf magic kinda book - my much loved no-think delicious dessert reading. Otherwise known as beach trash. This one is pretty good, I've already got sucked in. The reason I love these kinds of books is because it really becomes an all-consuming activity when reading them. When watching TV my mind wanders, I still think about stressful things and what I have to do tomorrow. When I read these books, there's no room for mind wandering. I can just jump in and forget everything else. It's therapy.

That and a regular night cap.

Speaking of which, great party night on Friday. Hence the pics.

Going to miss you, Elisa and Katina! Have fun in Australia, girls!



2 Comments:

At 10:51 AM , Blogger Mark said...

Relax about going back, if you hype it up to yourself it'll feel far worse than it actually is.

I don't read nearly as much as I should do, I really enjoy reading as well. So reading about other people reading always makes me think I should read. More reading!

Lucky people going to Australia, a fabulous place! Enjoy your reading, and don't worry about returning. :-)

 
At 2:45 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

Hi John, thanks for stopping by.

If were as easy said and done, I wouldn't worry about a damn thing ever. heh. But such is the life of a neurotic psych student - compulsively, and possibly even pathologically, worrisome.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home