Thursday, November 10, 2005

Something is Amiss

It snowed today.

First snow fall of the year. It's not necessarily early for the first snow fall, I can remember many years where I had to wear a parka, hat, and mits under/over my Halloween costume for trick-or-treat'ing. Thankfully it was just a little light snow today, that fluffy pretty Christmasy kind of snow.

Things have calmed down slightly at school - that inevitable crunch where it seems like 15 thousand things are converging all at once has passed. I'm going to be coasting fairly easily until my one and only final on December 7th. I don't forsee a need to do much research after the 7th, so it looks like a nice long Christmas break!

My stats midterm, one of the 15 thousand converged things, revealed something pretty interesting: I am by far NOT the most neurotic person in my program.

Please take a moment to re-read that statement. As shocking as it seems for those of you who know me or have at least read a few other posts, it is true nevertheless.

People were freaking their freak over this midterm. We had a few review sessions with the prof, and they were asking the most ridiculously complicated questions. What if there is a 4 by 3 by 2 overall simple simple main effect interaction? Every spare minute we had in our other class, people were talking about stats. They were asking eachother how to do things, trading answers to previous midterms the prof had made available. Someone even went as far to mention the stats midterm in their totally unrelated presentation.

I was beyond annoyed with these over-achievers. So how was the midterm itself?

Easiest test I've written in a looong time. Took me 15 minutes, which included review and some minor changes. I got a 98% - only lost 0.5 of a mark on the last question. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled, but I wasted about 4-5 days studying for that midterm when I could have been getting much needed sleep.

But like I said, at least I wasn't nearly the most neurotic one in the bunch. Things really have changed.

Listening to: No Bravery - James Blunt.

3 Comments:

At 4:29 PM , Blogger EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

I wish you all the best in your studies and treasure your education as much as you treasure your life.

"Only the best is good enough for us."-Bishop Ajayi Crowther.

God bless.

 
At 7:17 PM , Blogger Ian Edwards said...

Well done on your result! 98% is fantastic

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger Chorna said...

Hey Jo!! Well done on your results! Fucking amazing :D

I'm very glad for you, and glad the studying paid off. It was easy BECAUSE you stressed over it beforehand ;)

Glad you posted too! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home