Saturday, December 03, 2005

A Night In

A Saturday night home alone studying for my stats final while my parents are upstairs hosting a dinner party.

Thankfully my life isn't always this pathetic, heh. It was the Psych departmental Christmas Party on Thursday night, which the first year Masters students had to organize. The actual planning was the pure definition of hell, but the party turned out to be quite fun. I unfortunately sprained my knee the night before the party, but with a day of advil and ice packs, I still managed to don the 3 1/2 inch stilettos that I was set on wearing. I think the copious amount of alcohol numbed the pain - I ended up dancing for 3+ hours.

We had decided that instead of hiring a DJ, we would just hook up someone's laptop to the PA system. This resulted in us being able to choose the music: from Usher - Yeah!, to MC Hammer - Can't Touch This. Just in case you all wanted to know: yes, it is possible to do the running man in heels and a skirt.

The night didn't end terribly pleasantly, my friend having ditched me to get in on with some guy and then proceeding to ask me to wait up for her. I hope none of the faculty heard me telling her to fuck off, heh. That's always the risk of business type parties - the combination of drunkenness and people you work with can result in some dangerous and awkward consequences.

I think a partial reason why I was so pissed off at my friend was because I'm starting to feel out of place. I'm one of the youngest Psych grad students - only one other girl who is 22. Most of them are married, and if not married, in a serious relationship. It's absolutely bizarre. I went from a group of single friends without much relationship experience to a group of married people!? It's putting pressure on me, and this is a very new form of pressure.

Guess this is just a part of growing up. heh. Funny how I can feel simultaneously old and too young. I suppose it's just another new part of a new life.

4 Comments:

At 6:22 PM , Blogger Mark said...

Hey, thanks for your comment! I was in Paris last weekend and they were crazy drivers - so I can sort of see where Qubecers get it from!
How did you manage to sprain your knee?
As for the group pressure don't worry. I've been in situations with everyone else in their 30's, and still found common ground and had fun!
I'm old enough now to make my own life choices about everything, yet I still feel like a teenager at times (really I often think myself 18!!), and it's great going home to have dinner cooked for me like it used to be!
Finally (I'm starting to ramble - sorry!), although your parents are partying now, just think how hard you're going to party when you pass your stats final!! ;-)

 
At 1:36 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

Hi John! Thanks for stopping by.
I sprained my knee doing aerobics a few weeks ago, and the night before the party I just stepped on a ledge in an awkward way and heard a few pops.
And it's not that I don't feel I have common ground with an older set of people, just the whole marriage/serious relationship thing is scary!
Stats final is over and, I'm partying it up tonight and next week! whoo!

 
At 12:04 PM , Blogger Ian Edwards said...

I know what you mean, I'm only 21 yet I feel the pressure too - it's bizarre!

Hope the stats final went well

 
At 3:36 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

Chad - the combination of getting dressed up and liquored up always results in good times ;)

Hi Ian! Screw the pressure, heh - and thanks, stats went fine :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home