Friday, September 23, 2005

Death, Taxes, and Stupidity.

I would just like to come straight out and proclaim that I am prejudiced - yes, I admit it. I am prejudiced against stupid people.

For those of you who have read my blog with a pittance of regularity, you will undoubtedly recognize this prejudice. It's nothing new in the world of Jo (and I apologize for talking about myself in the third person, it's lame - I know).

So why I am pulling a Captain Obvious (hey Amy!) and stating the blatantly evident? Well, it is because a particular illusion of mine has recently been shattered. It seems that even really smart people can be annoyingly stupid.

The group of us Masters Psych students is a fairly small group - around 17 of us, I think. So we're getting to know eachother a good deal, since we have classes and seminars and meetings together. Some class discussions have been very interesting, with a great deal of eloquence, intelligence, and clarity. This in itself was a rarity in my undergrad. These people want to be here, we all tried very hard to get here.

So where is the stupidity? There are a few people, who shall remain nameless... annoying pretentious guy... who are not necessarily stupid in the undergrad sense, but who embody a new kind of stupidity that I shall henceforth christen Grad Student Chutzpah.

This chutzpah involves a disregard for the input of others, an annoyingly loud voice that booms over everyone else, an incessant desire to make one's thoughts clearly known, self-importance, and a particular skill at parasitically sucking the social climate into one's self.

Thankfully not everyone in the group is like this, but I've still been bombarded by enough of this to make a blog post about it. heh.

The moral of this story: no matter where you go, no matter how much you think you might have escaped the more common pitfalls of humanity, stupidity will follow you to the grave.

Death, taxes, and stupidity. The universe's eternal constants.

  • "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
  • "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
Listening to: Give Me One Reason - Tracy Chapman

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know you've arrived when you start getting blogspam.

Richard

 
At 8:17 PM , Blogger Joanna said...

hah, yeah, I just noticed that.

My first blog comment spam, whoo!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home