Sunday, March 20, 2005

In Between Dreams

I'm in love with the new Jack Johnson CD: In Between Dreams.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It's deliciously mellow, easy to listen to, and immediately makes me want to sing along despite my treacherous pathetic excuse of a singing voice. His style and sound are similar to John Mayer: the romantic lyrics which make you want to curl up in a warm bed, the strong guitar based melodies, and the caramel-smooth husky sound of Jack Johnson's voice.

I'm particularly enjoying Banana Pancakes:
But baby you hardly even notice
When I try to show you this song
It's meant to keep you
From doing what you're supposed to
Like waking up too early
Maybe we could sleep in
I'll make you banana pancakes


and Crying Shame:
But it's a growing flame
Using fear as fuel
Burning down our name
And it won't take too long
Words all burn down the same
And who are we going to blame now?
It's such a crying, crying, crying shame

I'm going to listen to it again tonight when I get in bed and start into Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale - I've heard from many sources that it's something I will enjoy. Atwood is always unique, it should be interesting.

Listening to: Better Together - Jack Johnson

3 Comments:

At 1:34 PM , Blogger supine said...

Cool, thanks for the tip. I definitely like John Mayer and his sultry little voice! :)

 
At 1:51 AM , Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

I'll be interested to hear what you think of Atwood's book. I wasn't crazy about it. The overall premise was excellent but it was missing...something. I'm not sure what. I think that she is a mediocre writer, albeit one who comes up with great concepts. I wish that she had shared the basic premise with a better writer; I think that the book had the potential to be a feminist 1984. However, despite my slightly "meh!" attitude toward The Handmaid's Tale, I find myself compelled to reread it every four or five years. Since it has become so firmly entrenched in my psyche, it can't be all bad...

 
At 8:41 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Mason Jennings is a good one to listen to as well. He has played with Jack Johnson quite a bit, but he's a bit less known.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home