Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Murphy's Law

If Murphy is still alive, I am personally going to hunt him down and torture him for an extended period of time.

We started the behavioural testing of my rats yesterday for my thesis: the apparatus is called the water maze, where the rat is placed in a pool of water and it has to find a hidden platform - it's a measure of memory (clicky here to see a pic of one my rats taking a wee swim).

Everything that could have gone wrong, went wrong. I mean everything. I can't even begin to list it all, it would be incredibly tedious and only depress me further.

Yesterday I spent 10 hours running the rats in the maze - I didn't get to eat at all, and got home at 6:30 pm with 2 midterms to study for. Today I skipped both of my classes and ran rats for about 5 hours. I'm exhausted. I'm stressed beyond belief. My thesis supervisor didn't properly explain the procedure to us and freaked out at me when we were doing it wrong. My back and leg muscles kill from bending and cleaning. I got rat blood on my shirt. I permanently smell rat shit everwhere I go, and am paranoid that I have some stuck to my pants or something.

I have to go in tomorrow, friday, SATURDAY, and all next week. I can't handle this. Thank god for reading week (spring break) coming up, hopefully I don't have a nervous breakdown before then.

I don't often whine, but Murphy's Law brings the whiner out in the best of us.




Listening to: The Hardest Button to Button - The White Stripes

3 Comments:

At 5:59 AM , Blogger Chorna said...

Wow, Joanna. I don't envy you. Mind you, I can totally sympathise, too. I've got 4 essays to write up. Right now I am so disorganised, I can't even remember the deadlines... I'm just guessing it's in two weeks or so. Ugh...

Studying subjects we love can be a real priviledge, but then again, sometimes I think they forget we're only human.

 
At 1:27 PM , Blogger Andrew said...

Hey,

I just stumbled upon your blog and your post about the rats made me laugh. Sounds pretty tough being a psych major...

 
At 2:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Don't mess with Murphy!
He is bigger, stronger, and he will always be there in the end.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home